In the middle of the lush nature of Domaine du Tilleul, in accordance with the life rhythm of the Black Wagyu, Wagyufrance strives for a superior meat quality.
DOMAINE DU TILLEUL
Domaine du Tilleul is situated in the Thiérache. The rich architectural patrimony of this region in Northern-France includes abbeys, castles and fortified farms, as well as the very famous fortified churches - ‘églises fortifiées’ – that had to protect the people from the country against plundering soldiers during the Eighty Years’ War with their concrete cornet towers, donjons and loopholes. Up until today, Thiérache mainly is a breeder area with dense broad-leaved forests, wide green landscapes and where dikes planted with trees and sides of wood or hedges form the natural boundaries of the agrarian parcels.
The history of Domaine du Tilleul takes us back to the 15th century when the site was still the property of the abbey of Foigny. At that time, Domaine du Tilleul functioned as a fishery for Cistercian monks. Three big ponds with a total dimension of 5 acres dominated the land. They were fed by streams that ran through the rural estate and ended in the Thon. The remainders in the form of dikes are still visible today. The rural estate date from 1831. It was built by Jean-Pierre Piette, the steward of the land of the princes of Monaco, north of Laon. Domaine du Tilleul is the property of Johan Hemelaere since March 2004. He had the rural estate and the adjacent guest wing restored in a rustic style. The authentic shed from the Bucilly of 1797 got broken down and was fully rebuilt.
Domaine du Tilleul spreads out over 30 acres designed landscaped park and woods and 94 acres grasslands. A walk through the landscaped park brings you across wonderful trees like Fraxinus excelsior (ash), Acer (maple tree), Carpinus betulus (hornbeam) and of course different kinds of Tilia (basswood), after which the land was named. All these trees are very impressive and have a life story that’s 60 to 100 years old. The showpiece is without doubt the robust oak next to the rural estate of more than 300 years old. The hedges are filled with Craetaegus (hawthorn) and Prunus spinosa (blackthorn). Newly laid out are Fagus sylvatica (beach), Alnus (alder), Quercus rubra (American oak), Quercus petraea (durmast) en Populus (popular). The spacious grasslands are ideal to spot some hares, partridges, pheasants, deer, wild boars and foxes.